THE PERFORMANCE OF WEST AFRICAN DWARF (WAD) GOATS FED BAMBOO LEAVES, GUINEA GRASS AND CONCENTRATE

THE PERFORMANCE OF WEST AFRICAN DWARF (WAD) GOATS FED BAMBOO LEAVES, GUINEA GRASS AND CONCENTRATE

IKPERITE STEPHEN1 .E. and J.I KPEREGBEYI1

1Department of Agricultural Technology, Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro, Delta State Nigeria.

Abstract

20 West African Dwarf (WAD) goats were randomly allocated to 4 treatments in which the nutrient composition of bamboo leaves, guinea grass and a concentrate and the performance of the goats fed the diets containing varying levels of the feedstuffs ad-libitum were studied. The treatments (diets) were: bamboo leaves alone (T1); 75% bamboo leaves + 25% guinea grass (T2); 50% bamboo leaves + 50% guinea grass (T3) and guinea grass + concentrate (T4 the control) at the Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro, for 12 weeks using the completely randomized experimental design (CRD). The parameters studied were: feed intake, nutrient digestibility and growth rate of WAD goats. Data collected were subjected to analysis of variance (ANOVA) and significantly different means were detected by the use of Duncan Multiple Range Test (DMRT). Proximate analysis revealed that bamboo leaves contain nutrients to adequately meet the nutrient requirements of the WAD goats but the feed intake and nutrient digestibility values were very low. However, the use of any combination of bamboo leaves and guinea grass studied in this work is recommended for dry season feeds for WAD goats because they promoted varying body weight gains in the different groups.

Key words: Adequate nutrients, Low feed intake, Low nutrients digestibility and Dry season feeds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Last modified on Monday, 16 February 2015 11:41

Need full length paper? Then, pay in the sum of N3000 or Dollar($) equivalent into any of the following Sunmes Integrated Accounts:UBA (1016873024), Ecobank (00750384445), (0075035139), Diamond Bank (0032742351), (0032667333). Scan and send payment voucher via: info@sunmesjournals.com and call 2347039325654 for immediate/instant deliver. Thanks

Go to top